Leftie4unusednapkin

Leftie aka Closet Romance Reader

Leftie, one of two book blogger sisters (Leftie & Rightie), feeding her guilty reads (translation, romance/sexy *g*) and really just blogging about books she loves and hates.

Surviving Raine

Surviving Raine - Shay Savage

I hesitated starting this book thinking I need to be in the right frame of mind based on the reviews I've read. After reading it, not sure why I waited.

This could have easily been a 5* for me but certain things just brought it down a notch.

I liked Raine. She cried a lot but she was a pretty strong h IMO, esp considering how young she is (she's only 20, I'm totally aging myself but that is young in my book, hah!). She handled the relationship well, I thought, and she was the anchor in that relationship.

For a change, the tiny beef I have is with the H. Bastian was not your typical H. He's probably one of the most obnoxious, damaged, broken H I've read of late. His insecurities, although it didn't annoy me and actually broke my heart at times, was at the forefront for the most part of the story and considering his age (he was 29), it almost felt like it stunted his maturity growth. At the same token, as weird as this may sound, what he did before he met the h almost made sense because of his ugly upbringing. (Mind you, the whole thing almost felt like those 90's arcade games made into B-movies with gratuitous violence, but I digress...) Does it make more forgivable? That and what he did for her while they were in the island (w/o giving anything away)? In my mind, I'm not sure, oddly enough. Hmmm... Oh, and yet, despite it all, I did feel the heartfelt effort on his part to make himself deserving of her (sigh)...

It wasn't a long read yet I still felt it dragged a bit by the 80% mark. And I'm sorry but I probably could have done away w/o the epilogue. It was clearly a segue to a new story, and not really meant to reinforce the HEA.

Oh and I did learn some survival stuff. You just never know, right?:p

Over all, I did enjoy the writing, it was one of those not-so-usual male's POV, and I liked how the relationship blossomed and the details about how their lives are entwined. I do look forward reading more CR from the writer.