Leftie4unusednapkin

Leftie aka Closet Romance Reader

Leftie, one of two book blogger sisters (Leftie & Rightie), feeding her guilty reads (translation, romance/sexy *g*) and really just blogging about books she loves and hates.

The Opportunist

The Opportunist - tarryn fisher 2 words for Ms. Fisher, WELL DONE!!!

After all the reviews I've read about this book, I knew I had to be ready for it, knowing myself. Having read it, I agree, for the most part, with the reviewers who talked about the feelings that this book will evoke out of a reader. It is definitely one heck of a ride! I'm embarrassed (or not) to say it but the ending had me in tears, yes, TEARS. And I don't even like reading love triangles!

A while back, I told myself that I'm not really that keen on NA books since almost always, drama abounds unnecessarily just for the sake of drama. Well, without me realizing it, my reads have slowly started teeming with them, call me oblivious. Then afterwards, I realized why I'm reading more in this genre now. When well written, I found it does not really feel that NA anymore. It just becomes a well written story, period. And to me, this book is a perfect example.

The way Ms. Fisher wrote, I got to know Olivia, the h, understood her motivation even if I didn't agree with it, went thru whatever she's going thru even though I couldn't fully relate to her, and by the end of it, only wanted the best for her because I think I finally got her. Then there's Caleb, the H, who in my mind can do no wrong from the beginning, even despite some of the things he did, yes, because, again, the way Ms. Fisher wrote, I understood. It doesn't make it right, but I understood. Now Leah, the 3rd side to their triangle of a mess? I don't like her, but neither do I dislike her completely. She did what she felt she needed to do. Again, in a sad convoluted way, I understood. How about that!

I know I'm repeating myself, but to me, that's how well written this is, that I was able to sympathize, if not empathize, with the characters, whether I like them or not, whether I can relate to them or not.

I get it why the other readers couldn't put this book down once they started. You get enmeshed in the story from the beginning, the going back and forth in time flowed smoothly, and you just want to know what happens basically. And funnily enough, because I felt I've given myself sufficient warning about the roller coaster of a ride that this book will take me along, I really felt I was prepared for and ready to shrug off whatever angst it throws at me. But no, I still wasn't. Oh, the emotions, and the twists in the story!!! Maybe it was just me, but I didn't see some of the stuff coming at all! And the ending! I want to say it's almost fitting, given the situation. Such is life, I suppose, fictional or real... sigh...

Wouldn't necessarily jump right in to read the next 2 in this series, just to give my reading emotions a break. Besides, I'm not prepared to read Leah's story, and cray or not, I'm even thinking of skipping it just bec I want to get to Caleb's story after Olivia's. Ok, no I won't skip. But I do know that I need to be ready for Caleb's because if Olivia's had me in tears, I can only imagine what it would be like reading Caleb's...

Needless to say, a new Tarryn Fisher fan her indeed!